On Sunday December 18, the Philadelphia branch of the English-Speaking Union and the Society of the Sons of St. George joined St. James School to host a lovely Christmas benefit called A Colonial Christmas. Raising needed funding for student scholarships, this year’s event took place at Christ Church, Philadelphia.
Over 120 guests attended the event that began with an Advent Service of Lessons & Carols in the church, featuring beautiful hymns sung by the choir of St. Martin-in-the-Fields and three students–Cherrelle, Jerome, and Troy–served as acolytes.
St. James students presented awards to the evening’s honorees.
Fifth grader Agustina spoke beautifully about the remarkable contributions made possible by honorees The Very Rev. Jarrett Kerbel, Rector Church of St. Martin-in-the-Fields and Rosalie Cooper, President, RAH Civic Association.
After the service, guests enjoyed a vibrant reception in the Neighborhood House with delicious food sponsored by Di Bruno Bros. and wine tastings from Moore Brothers Wine Company. Along with a traveling violinist and a special guest appearance by Benjamin Franklin (Ward Larkin), guests had the opportunity to bid on a variety of exciting silent and live auction items, including beekeeping, genealogy session, private tour of the Barnes and a visit to the Wanamaker Tower at St. James School.
The event raised over $25,000 for St. James School student scholarships.
Special thanks to the many individuals who made this evening possible, including:
- St. Martin-in-the Fields, including The Very Rev. Jarrett Kerbel, Organist and Choir Director Erik Meyer, and the choir of the Church of St. Martin-in-the-Fields (Chestnut Hill)
- The English Speaking Union and the Society of the Sons of St. George
- The Rev. Timothy Safford, Rector, Christ Church Philadelphia
- The Rev. Sean E. Mullen, Rector, Saint Mark’s Church; President, St. James School Board of Directors
- The Rev. Jarrett Kerbel, Rector, Saint Martin-in-the-Fields
- The Rev. Anne Thatcher, Associate for Formation, Saint Martin-in-the-Fields
- The Rev. Betsy Ivey, Chaplain, St. James School Rector, St. Simon the Cyrenian Church
- The Rev. Andrew L. Kellner, Chaplain, St. James School; Associate Rector, St. Simon the Cyrenian Church
- The Rev. Clayton Ames, Chaplain, The Society of the Sons of St. George
- Event chairs George and Ronna Tyndall
- Event committee members Regina Raiford Babcock; Chuck Barber; Bill Bodine; Bob Brano; Pat Bushyager, President, English-Speaking Union; Al Cassidy; Dr. Audrey Evans; Judith Francis; Susan Gerrity; Peter Reichner Hill, President, Society of Sons of St. George; David Kasievich; Geni Klein; Angie McCole; Bill Mignucci; Jim and Mariah Munnis; Philip and Sarah Price; Margaret Wallis; Fred Wampler
- Christ Church, Philadelphia
- Di Brunos Bros.
- Moore Brothers Wine Company
George Washington Sponsor $5000+
Gordon and Patricia Fowler
George and Ronna Tyndall
Benjamin Franklin Sponsor $2500
Betsy Ross Sponsor $1776
James and Elaine Ballengee
Patron Sponsor $500–$999
Chuck and Judy Barber
Kenneth and Lorraine Jones
David Kasievich and Andrew Kellner
The Very Rev. Jarret Kerbel and Alison Boden
Michael and Susie Lastowski
Michael Lynagh and Peg Mertz
Steve and Allyson Ross
Bob Smith and Maris Ogg
The Rev. Marie Swayze
Margaret B. Wallis