215.226.1276
The Episcopal School in North Philadelphia

St. James staff completes first year of classes, looks to partner with more families in year two

St. James Principal Laura Hoffman-Dimery and her colleagues look forward to the 2012-2013 school year. (Alaina Mabaso/for NewsWorks)

St. James School is located on W. Clearfield Street in the Allegheny West section of the city.

The St. James School, a 16-student Episcopal school bringing the intensive NativityMiguel middle-school model to the Allegheny West neighborhood, completed its first academic year at the end of June.

Even though the converted church building hums with summer-camp activity – large dormitory tents stand in the backyard and volunteers can be found filling dozens of water balloons in the kitchen – Executive Director David Kasievich and Principal Laura Hoffman-Dimery (also the 5th grade teacher) have already trained their eyes on Sept. 10, when 100 percent of the school’s inaugural fifth-grade class will enter sixth grade, and 17 new fifth-graders will arrive.

Read entire article at the WHYY Newsworks website here >